If you’re a runner looking for inspiration…motivation…that ‘little something extra’ to keep you focused and connected to the greatest sport on the planet—RUNNING—you’ve come to the right place.
The Darkside Running Club was founded in December of 2002, although its roots were developed in the mid 1990’s by Al Barker and me as we looked for new and creative ways to expand our running horizons. Tired of the generic running club which was more inclined to ‘talk the talk,’ we opted to form our own club comprised of runners more inclined to…well, run!
The members of our club encourage and push one another to our physical—and mental—limits. The amazing thing is that even though Al and I have over 60 years of running experience between us, the sport never gets old…and our members feel the same way.
Today, the Darkside Running Club has members in over a dozen states who remain connected via telephone, the internet, the quarterly club newsletter—‘absolutely true…Tales from the Darkside’—and of course, races and running adventures all over the country. Between the members—consisting of race founders, race directors, running club presidents, running club founders, ultramarathoners (both fast and slow), veteran runners (again, both fast and slow), novice runners, RRCA officials—you can find virtually anything and everything you need related to running.
To ‘cross over’ to the Darkside, all you need is an interest in running (and by all indications, the fact that you’re still reading this message indicates that you do) and a (relatively very) little cash. Effective July 2009, LIFETIME MEMBERSHIP rates are $35. A long time ago one of our members said of the Darkside: ‘You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave’ (OK, maybe not original but you get the point). That’s right, no more running club dues againever! Membership includes:
- Four quarterly newsletters (accessed via the internet on approximately March 31, June 30, September 30 and December 15).
- A Darkside Running Club patch.
- $10 entry in our three Annual Darkside Events (New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, and Labor Day).
- The opportunity to volunteer (or participate) in our two signature events, the Darkside 8-Hour Run (springtime) and the Darkside Distance Festival (3rd Weekend in October).
- A network to a group of people dedicated to the promotion of the sport of running.
I hope to see you soon–on the Darkside.
President & Co-Founder
Darkside Running Club